Many financial experts recommend that we spend 10% or less of our monthly income on entertainment and leisure activities. These can include going out to eat, getting a pedicure, going to the movies, etc. So for a family that nets $4,000.00 a month, for example, that would mean that they would need to spend $400.00 or less per month to stay within that recommendation. But how doable and realistic is this? Well before we know how doable it is, we need to get an idea of how much we’re spending in these areas now. FitFin can help with both tracking and setting up the budget. You may be surprised how much you’re spending, and how simple behavior tweaks can make big positive impacts.
Here are some ideas on how to trim expenses in this area while still enjoying life:
- Eat at home – It’s ridiculous how much money we spend when going out to eat. A family of four can easily spend $50.00 or more at even a fast food restaurant. I know how fun it is going to eat, so one idea to tweak this expense is to drink water instead of expensive soda or beer (have that beer when you get home).
- Negotiate your cable/satellite bill – This can save you big bucks! In fact, according to Consumer Reports, people who were surveyed about negotiating their bill had great results! Twenty-four percent of people saved up to $50 and seven percent saved over $50 each month! It’s worth a 10 minute call to see what you can get, and companies are much more willing to negotiate now that cheaper streaming options are easily available. And the more you do it, the better you’ll get!
- Entertain at home – If you have a circle of friends who like to go out, consider having “a night out” at a friend’s home and rotating every month. This can be as simple as having a game night, watching the playoffs, etc. This is also great if you have kids, as it allows them to play with other kids.
- Dust off those old board games – If you’re like most families, you probably have a junk room or a closet filled with old board games. Why not pull them out and get them back in the rotation? In fact, start a family game night once a week! You’ll be amazed at how much fun you and your family will have!
- Google “free things to do in ______” – Have you tried this? Just type the phrase into Google, Bing, or whatever search engine you use and put yours or a neighboring town. You’ll be amazed at some of the cool things you can find in your hood!
Give a few of these things a try and see what it can do for both your relationships and your pocketbook. And if you haven’t downloaded the FitFin app yet (shame on you!), you can do so at http://www.fitfin.com or by searching FitFin in the App Store or Play Store. Enjoy!